Wednesday 30 May 2012

Nicaragua - Day 17

ow.

If I slept with a pillow under my knee and my calf dangling over the bed with my ankle turned a certain way, there was actually very little pain  ...which also means I was not raising my leg and swelling went to my foot.  Not too bad.  Injuries with stitches hurt more when there are stitches in. Especially Day 2-3 when the swelling is at it's worst.  Everything is just swollen, stinging, and achy pulled by those tight stitches whenever I move the skin/muscle and the bone just throbs.  wah wah wah....

This morning I had beer for brunch!  Go Tona (Nicaraguan beer)!  The entire gang, 11 people just hung out in the pool for most of the morning and early afternoon.  It was really nice to just have them around - it didn't suck so badly not being out for a surf.  I just lay in the kiddie pool with my leg on the side.  Kate gave me some Tegaderm patches, which are waterproof dressings.  I'm saving them like they are GOLD!  "Maybe..." 

Ali and Kate are in their second trimester of pregnancy.  They look radiant.  I wasn't a great pregnant woman.  I didn't glow.  In retrospect, I recall it being such a primal and deep time in my life.  The transition of being your own person up until pregnancy, and then being responsible for building a life inside your body and subsequently becoming a mother...   HUGE TRANSITION.  It amazes me women are sane sometimes and it is just expected, like it's nothing to become a mom.  I'd say it is pretty huge and women don't get enough credit, even from each other sometimes. 

Kate is, as mentioned, a pharmacist.  She has a very calm and caring energy.  I think a lot would be needed to rattle her.  She's going to be a very powerful momma.

Ali is an artist. http://www.alisonhodson.com/ The work I have seen on her website has me hooked.  We'll be heading up to Whistler, B.C. soon to see her work in person.  I am hoping for an ocean influenced piece in the next while... hee hee!  Little M loved playing with her and Ali just dove right in.  She is going to be an incredibly sweet and loving mom - they both will be.  

Me and hubby played Nertz afterwards and then I asked if he'd go for an early surf session so we could go watch (the bugs at sunset can be kinda crazy).  Down we went the three of us.  He was picking off waves like a sniper out there.  Not the best conditions, but he was just carvin' it up.  So great to see.  Nothing better than surfing than seeing those you love catch waves.  It feels like your heart is riding along with them.

Chica and Buck went out too - awww!  When was the last time they surfed together?  She caught a fantastic left, zipping along the face at the end of the session.  Me and Little M jumped up and down cheering!  Ah, the smile of someone who catches a great wave...  Elation.  YAHOOO!!!

A gorgeous sunset.  Making "Cherry soup" on the beach with Little M.  She is my magic.  Jumping in to her world of play, or any preschoolers, is like being at the Mad Haters' tea party.  Sometimes I have no idea what we are trying to do.  I don't think she knows what she is trying to do, but anything goes.  When time is short, following along can be a challenge, but it's times like this on the beach, where we have all the time in the world, where it is just funky, complete and utter spontaneous imagination. As adults, I think most of us are deficient in that.  She teaches me so very much and I am thankful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment