Monday 21 May 2012

Nicaragua - Day 14 Rivas

The winds were taking the trees sideways this morning.  Despite that, hubby went out for his 5:15am surf.   I woke up today with the worst coldsore of my life on my upper lip.  Can we get more upfront than that?  Never in my life have I had one like this and it hurts.  It's so big I will give it a name - Herbie.  *@#!  - I just want to grow a moustache, an SPF 70 moustache.  Maybe I can make one out of all the hair I'm molting...  Like most people who are prone to them, I get an occurrence when I get too much sun or when I'm run down.  Less than one week left and I feel like I'm racing the clock to get my booty out there and catch some waves, but I've overdone it.  frustrated,  but I gotta respect what my body is saying - it needs a sun break. 

We packed up and made our once a week shopping list (yesterday's shopping trip didn't yield much and we require a lot more produce etc.).  An hour or so away, to Rivas hubby, Little M and myself went.

Despite the dust, the lack of amenities, and the 35'C heat, the locals are dressed in pants and shirts, all immaculately clean and pressed, whites are WHITE - again speaking to their proud nature.  The pride and sincerity intertwined with the aftermath of such tumultuous events in history makes me wonder what the people here strive for?  What are they working towards?  What are their hopes to succeed the history they have survived?  Everyone wants peace, a level of comfort, to be well, and to feed their children.  But I am wondering if there is a strong desire for change?  What was Nicaragua like in it's most abundant times?  If the average Nicaraguan were to write the country's next chapter, what would it express?  What would help this country to be all of that?  Or what would it take the Nicaraguans to be all of that?  Maybe I'm sounding ignorant or naive, but when you see a child the same age as your own or younger in such hard circumstances, you wonder what his/her future will be and what they will need to do to make it one that that they want.  It also makes you wonder what it is you can do to help in whatever way you can.   

After watching the local police drive through town in a pickup truck with some banditos in handcuffs in the back and march them in to the station with automatics drawn, we headed to the bank and then for lunch. 

We chose a quiet restaurant in a hotel and sat on the patio.  It was empty except for us.  Little M danced around the garden fountain and we just sat and watched the city go by us on the street in front.  I had the butterflied chicken, with rice and fries with a fresh mixed fruit juice.  It was SO good - as Buck mentioned, chicken here is incredibly delicious.  That hit the spot! 

It was a quiet day in Rivas, one that seemed to match my mood - stoic, hidden and averted.  Those that did engage with us, did so with a curiosity that makes me smile.  I think I am so dark, they aren't sure how my Asian features fit my face.  Gas station attendants washing our windshield for quite some time, trying to be subtle, but I'm right there - I see youuu!!  I've seen 1 or two Asians here in the both trips I've been here, so I think I'm a bit of a novelty, or perhaps they are checking out Herbie. S'all good.

We headed back to our residence, sharing some treats of our trip with the local security guy - ice cream sandwich and cold water.  That is one happy man.

Hubby went out again for a short session, while I made some Spanish-esque rice, to accompany his garlic butter lobster tails given to us by our friends who got them from the local fish guy.  Yum - what a treat.  A visit with Chica, Buck and the gang - super cool people.

I miss the ocean already just having been out 48 hours.  My skin is missing home, but my soul sure loves this part of the world and especially the ocean here.

Good hopes for glassy, head-high, off-shore, shaded surf (ha!)... Making the drop, rail in the face of the wave, hand running through the moving water at my side, flying on liquid energy...


"Tomorrow, tomorrow..."  

No comments:

Post a Comment