Wednesday 6 June 2012

Nicaragua - Day 'I can't remember' (18) "Cranky Hag"

I think I'm keeping pretty positive considering almost a third of my trip has been compromised.  Today was a blue day.  I had a short fuse today, cranky hag.  REALLY nice people around.  They are making it really difficult to be such a "cranky hag", as a matter of fact.  Chica, and Buck being so hospitable and giving hugs (Chica) and beer (Buck).  Ali and Kate, radiating that primal glow.  Kate offering me wonderful waterproof tape so I can at least go in the pool - bless her.  Bam Bam with his dry humour and good food. 

And then Buck starts rattling off his observations of idiosyncrasies Nicaraguans do.  One of which, I think I nearly popped my stitches and peed myself at the same time when he showed us (and apparently BamBam is the one who 'does it' really good).  As far as these two go, Nicaraguans have a way of pointing with their lips.  Like stuttery, kissy-lips, with head still, but lips going in the direction of the subject the person is wanting to point at.   I haven't laughed so hard at a person in a very long time.  Probably as hard as Buck and BamBam, and the gang here laughed at me as they sat beneath "The Tree of Death" at the beach one afternoon.

I was coming in from a session of surfing - can't remember which day at this point (thanks Buck).  The swell was beginning to build a bit.  As I was paddling in, tired already.  I timed my 'arrival landing' between the waves, but because, from my perspective, all i could see what the back of the rolling wave, I didn't see that the tide was right at the point on the beach where the it began to sharply incline.  When I did catch one in that would take me just to where I could dismount my board and cooly come out of the water with my board pinched under my arm nonchalantly, my leash tidily coiled up, all with an air of confidence and style  ... oh jeez...  (deep breath)  Instead of that,  I caught one wave and was on top of it when I saw that it was shore-dumping.  I put the brakes on, as well as you can in the water, and navigated around being pitched over the falls and cracked in to the shallow sand.  I saved face there, but continued beyond that, until my skegs dug in to the incline of sand, and stopped my surfboard dead in it's tracks, tossing me off like a pancake shucked off a flipper spatula.  I'm not a pancake though - I'm a person.  So rather than landing like a pancake on a plate, I was thrown in the wash of the broken wave, collided with the sandy incline and tumbled and rolled like a breaded raw chicken across the sand in front of them, to which Chica tells me later, my husband motioned the umpire spread of arms as yelled, "SAFE!!!"

Anyways.  We stayed central at the apartments today, but by later afternoon, me and Little M went to the beach.  The surf was picking up.  Guys were coming out of the water with 'that' look in their eyes of being in a state of adrenaline.  The only way I can describe it is an electrically charged clarity.  My heart sank.  Missing that challenge of just putting your body against the elements, digging, paddling, pushing.  "Electrically charged clarity" that comes with being completely in the moment - hyperdrive meditation combined with survival and ability.   I'm sitting on the beach.

grumble, grumble, grumble....

Hubby helped me psychologically lick my wounds.  He gave me an ice massage to help the swelling, and just empathized.  Sometimes to make things not so blue, it just takes someone understanding how you feel, ya know?   Even though he mocked me, I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment