Monday 25 April 2011

Day 1 - Here We Go

"WHY?!  WHY?!?  WHY!?!?!?!... Why would I do this to myself?" I thought on my way home from errands this afternoon... "Do you remember what a thousand kicks looks like?  Do you remember what a thousand kicks FEELS like?!?"  Then my mind started to break it down.  "10 x 100.  20 x 50".

To recap: my goal is to do 1,000 kicks in one workout by weeks' end.  Today I'll start around 5-600 and then increase each day (every day).    

Warm up (slow & low, watching technique and just warming up the legs, abs, hips etc.):
  • Outside crescent kicks: Right leg, 25 kicks.  Left leg, 25 kicks  (50)
  • Front kicks:  Right side, 25 kicks.  Left side, 25 kicks    (50)
  • Side Kicks:  Right side, 25 kicks.  Left side, 25 kicks (50)
  • Rear-leg roundhouse kicks: Right side, 25 kicks.  Left side, 25 kicks (50)
200 ok. Now we'll see how the rest goes...
  • Front kick, same leg roundhouse (alternating) - 50
step it up a bit
  • Front kick, same leg roundhouse (alternating) - 50
feeling it... 300
  • Rear leg Roundhouse, spinning back kick - 50
oh feeling it now...
  • Rear leg Roundhouse, spinning back kick -(35,36 not so good, so they don't count!) 46
  • Front kick, rear leg roundhouse, spinning back kick - 15 (redo 13, 14, 15 too)
411
  • Front kick, roundhouse, (added a spinning hook kick) leg sweep: 39
  • Front kick, roundhouse, spinning hook kick, leg sweep: 52
502

At this point, my daughter rolled off the small couch (she was sleeping).  Thank goodness I put some air stability cushions at the foot of the couch... she was fine.
  • Roundhouse Kicks in to the heavy bag: 50
  • Right leg - Front, side, back kicks (one leg): 27
  • Left leg - Front, side, back kicks (one leg): 26
605!

Ok, it went better than I thought.  Originally, I was going to do 500 and then add 100 each day, but 600 seemed like a suitable place to start as well as being able to focus on better overall technique. These ones were not the most crisp kicks I've ever delivered, but it was Day 1 and I want my groin/hamstrings to pace themselves.  For some reason, I was feeling a bit shy too - strange.  I think over the next few days, there will be some funny walking, foul-talking and DEFINITELY SOME SWEAT A'FLYIN'!  And of course, I'll be striving to get more snap in them, tighten up hands and technique overall.  I did video it to try and post it, but if I speed it up, 30 minutes at 1200% doesn't really show kicks at all... so you can take my word if you'd like.

I feel great.  (OH!  Just got off my exercise ball and my hips are already feeling it).  I am also really looking forward to cranking the tunes and amping the energy (couldn't do that today with my daughter sleeping 7 feet away).  It will also be a challenge doing the series with her awake...  yikes.  anyway, it feels gooood.  Not so much just physically, but mentally it is really good to get that kind of energy out.

Tomorrow morning : 700!!

No comments:

Post a Comment